Today’s word: affirmation
I throw that word around a lot, but I want to sit and think about what it really means. Merriam Webster says an affirmation is: to assert (a statement) as valid or confirmed; true
I once heard a preacher on television say that God’s favorite word to hear us say is “yes”.
I like that and I tend to agree. An affirmation is saying “yes, I agree.” “Yes, that is true.”
We use affirmations all the time, only it’s not what you think. If I say “I always get stuck at this traffic light.” I am saying that it’s a true statement. Big surprise, I will likely get stuck there tomorrow. It’s a self-fulfilling prophesy.
More to the point, if I say something like “God will supply all my needs”, I am reminding myself that it is true.
The trick to a better life is to have a head and heart full of things that we know to be true. I usually start my day meditating on a specific quote or verse. I want my thoughts to be based on something good and true.
Here are a few of my favorites:
1. You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Psalms 32:7
2. “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.” Anias Nin
3. Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. Robert Louis Stevenson
4. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
5. Keep your face always toward the sunshine – and shadows will fall behind you. Walt Whitman
6. Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace. Buddha
7. “Those who are certain of the outcome can afford to wait, and wait without anxiety” A Course In Miracles
8. “If you knew who walked beside you at all times, on the path that you have chosen, you could never experience fear or doubt again.” Wayne Dyer
9. He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers. Psalms 1:3
10. “All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.” St. Francis of Assisi
Takeaway: Your thoughts are powerful. What you think about expands. You can actually turn around a bad mood by speaking the right words. Even when something bad happens, you are better prepared to deal with it if your mind is in a good place.
Today’s goal: Today I will not allow the circumstances around me to alter the peace inside me.
Affirmation to go: You pick!